Tanning bed eyewear is not something to be taken lightly, and any avid tanner would tell you this. They may make you look a bit funny (okay, a lot funny!) but since nobody sees you while you’re inside the tanning bed, does it really matter how they make you look?
What are Tanning Goggles?
It might not matter how they make you “look,” per se, but not wearing them can destroy the way you see things, literally.
While in a tanning bed, you are being swarmed with UV rays which is what you want in order to get a tan, but these same rays can be even more damaging to your eyes, and any decent tanning salon will make sure you are protecting your eyes with tanning bed goggles.
These awesome pieces of eyewear will keep your eyes safe without giving you the raccoon eye tan from sunglasses. Sounds like a good thing to me!
Do You Need to Wear Tanning Goggles?
Why wear those funny little things that make you look like a chameleon when all you can do is simply close your eyes, right? WRONG! You may be able to get away with doing this at the beach, but the truth is, your eyelids are not a good line of defense against the UV rays and you really should wear eyewear intended to block them!
Consider what a tanning bed does to your skin, then picture it happening to your eyes. Without the proper protection, the whites of your eyes can become yellowed and the UV rays can gradually cause severe damage to your eyes.
Yes, you should absolutely wear tanning goggles and any decent tanning salon will make sure you have a pair with you before they let you tan.
The Best Tanning Bed Eyewear
As with purchasing any product, you need to shop around and do your homework to find your match. There are a few different ways that you can go about finding the right ones for you.
- Try them on: If you go to a store, you might be able to try different ones on to see which feel best on your face.
- Ask a professional: Whether that professional is the one working behind the counter or tanning inside the bed, ask the tanning gurus which ones are the best; they’ll also be able to tell you which brands to avoid.
- Read reviews: Most reviews are pretty honest, so if you find a product that has 20 bad reviews and three good ones, it’s safe to assume that the product is not a good one.
Speaking of reviews, here are the highest rated tanning eyewear on Amazon:
These flexible tanning goggles are many tanner’s first choice when it comes to protective eyewear. Because they’re flexible, Sunnies are super comfortable and perfect to keep in your bag without fear of them snapping in half!
They also come in 4 chic colors, blue, pink, purple, and black. My suggestion, buy 1 in every color and put them in various areas so you’ve always got something with you!
PODZ has created the cutest pair of tanning goggles that actually come nestled in their own little traveling case!
These keychain tanning goggles are small, cute, and comfortable! Connect them to your car keys or purse so you never lose your tanning goggles again!
A completely different type of tanning eyewear that will be your new best friend!
Wink Ease eyewear are disposable so there’s no worry about scratches or cracks and you get a new, clean pair each time you tan! Plus, they’re adhesive-backed so you can use them on beds or in stand-ups!
Choosing the Best Tanning Goggles for You
Tanning salons typically have their own tanning goggles for sale, which is great if you forgot your pair at home, but can lead to goggles that don’t fit comfortably or aren’t your style. If you purchase your own tanning bed eyewear, you’ll not only know where it’s been, but you know it’s quality. So how exactly do you choose the right pair?
Here are some pointers for you to consider:
- You get what you pay for: In other words, do not buy the cheapest pair you can find, or you might just find out the hard way as to why they were such a bargain! You don’t shop around for the cheapest doctors, dentists, or choose the car with the cheapest seat belts, so why seek out the cheapest protection for something as important as your eyes?
- Choosing a color: Although neon green might be your favorite color, and they look totally rad on you, keep in mind that neon colors may glow in the presence of a tanning bed, and this might be a bit annoying to you. If not, go for it and enjoy the glow!
- Comfort: When is comfort not a thing to be considered? You’ll want to look for a pliable material that easily conforms to your face shape. Also, any band that goes around the head, you’ll want to make sure it’s just a good overall fit. Comfort is the number one complaint about “bad” tanning bed goggles.
- Size/shape: When it comes to tanning bed goggles, is bigger better? This depends. The bigger goggles may be more comfortable and seem to fit better, but you might get bigger tan lines. It’s nothing that a little concealer can’t cover up, right? Don’t forget to pay attention to the width of the nose bridge if you are concerned about tan lines across the bridge of your nose.
- Durability: Okay, so you won’t be doing any rock climbing while in the tanning bed, but it doesn’t mean you won’t throw them into a bag of tanning products and bang the bag around in your travels. You want tanning bed eyewear that will last, not have the lenses popping out on you! Durability is the second biggest complaint about tanning eyewear.
Once you make a decision on your tanning eyewear, it will be a decision that you won’t regret (unless they’re ill-fitting, of course!) so make sure you do all of your homework, and try on before you buy if you can. Happy tanning!