I hope you love the products I recommend in this article. Just so you know, Bronze Booty may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this page. This helps me keep Bronze Booty updated with all of this great information. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for!
Who doesn’t love a sun-kissed glow? A perfectly tanned body is like a dream for many of us. But never was a naturally tanned look so easy to get. Gone are the days of spending hours under the sun for a natural tan. Sun tanning causes wrinkles, skin damage, and some serious health hazards. All of my girls are talking about self-tanners, and I bet yours are too! With their skin-nourishing formulas, they are an easy, quick, and safe way to get a perfect streak-free look.
What Are the Types of Sunless Self-tanners?
Sunless self-tanners use DHA (dihydroxyacetone) as its main ingredient. DHA is a kind of sugar that chemically reacts with the dead cells on your body, giving a bronze color that looks like a natural tan. Self-tanners are available in many forms, including:
- Mousse: Mousse is perfect for winter. Their rich formulas include tanning ingredients and some other skin-nourishing formulas that help your skin stay soft and supple. They are easy to layer and are lightweight and fast drying.
- Lotions: self-tanning lotions are very popular. They have a lotion consistency, surprising, I know. These are currently the most popular form of sunless-tanner, because they often have nice scents, and leave your skin feeling silky. There is also a large variety for different skin types, and situations (such as protecting tattoos). They are great in winter when your skin is feeling most dry.
- Serums and sprays: serums and sprays are perfect for summer when you can’t stand the feel of lotions and mousse. They give a streak-free tan without making you feel heavy or sticky. Serums also instantly absorb in the skin. This is a fast-growing category in sunless-tanning.
- Tanning wipes: Tanning wipes or towelettes are excellent for on-the-go tanning. You can make use of them on trips, holidays, or simply anytime when you are busy and don’t have time for a self-tanning massage. Tanning wipes are small towelettes that are pre-soaked with self-tanners. They come in separate sheets that can be applied on the skin and discarded. They are excellent for an even tone and comes handy while you are traveling, or just don’t want to deal with handfuls of goop.
What Are the Benefits of Tanning Wipes?
I love tanning wipes, but why? Here are some of my top reasons:
- Quick application: Tanning wipes are good for getting an even sun-kissed glow more easily. You don’t need to dedicate tons of time to applying it, the wipes are convenient and guess-free.
- Perfect for on-the-go (No TSA hassle when flying!): Tanning wipes are easier to carry. Keep the pack in your purse, and you can get a streak-free tan almost anywhere. These are small, so you won’t be setting off any TSA alarms if you have a few in your luggage, unlike some of the bottles of tanning lotion!
- Less risk of an orange look: one of the big put offs to these self-tanning products is the orange cakey appearance that looks fake and odd. Not with tanning wipes anymore. These wipes are soaked in a specific amount of self-tanning solution, and it’s hard for beginners to overdo.
- Easy to Carry: These wipes come in separate packets that are easy to carry. No need to carry bottles of lotions and mousse that can be messy if spilled in your bag, or trigger alarm bells at the airport security checkpoints!
Self-tanning Wipes Buying Guide
It might seem like all tanning wipes are the same, and who could fault you? I mean, they all come in those little packets, how different could they be? There are actually quite a few things to consider!
- Preferred Shade: Tanning wipes come in different shades. Some give only a slight glow to your face accentuating its features. Others come with a darker tan and are good for a perfect Mediterranean look. So make sure you choose the perfect shade.
- Number of Wipes: Self-tanning is an easy and convenient way of getting a tanned look. But the color fades with time. You can retain the color for a week, and after that, it starts to fade. Our only option is to reapply after a week or so. That’s why you need many wipes. If you are trying a brand for the first time, it is better to choose a pack with fewer wipes. You can choose a pack of twenty or thirty wipes if you are a regular user of the brand.
- Biodegradable Wipes: Make sure the wipes you are choosing are eco-friendly. The environment of this earth is our shared responsibility, and we can do our part by choosing eco-friendly products.
- Skin Condition: Almost all skin tanning solutions come with something more than a mere coloring agent. Some of these wipes come with fruit extracts for treating your skin, some have Aloe Vera or other therapeutic ingredients, and some even have anti-aging ingredients like elastin and collagen. Choose the formula that suits your skin condition. In the end, the main difference between each of the tanning towelettes is their formulas and ingredients.
- Natural and Organic Ingredients: Your skin is precious, and you should protect it from harmful and synthetic chemicals. It’s my opinion that you should choose one that comes with all-natural and organic ingredients.
How to Apply Tanning Wipes on Your Skin
Applying self-tanning wipes is quite easy. The actual process does not take more than a few minutes. But you can have a lovely tan if you follow some important steps.
- Exfoliate your skin: Make sure you exfoliate your skin well before applying the tanning wipes. Exfoliation removes the dry and dead cells on your skin, making it look more soft and healthy. You can have an even distribution of color on clean skin. Dead cells on skin will cause rough patches that may absorb more solution and looks darker in the end. Remember, DHA interacts with dead skin cells, so pay extra attention to your knees, knuckles, wrists, and ankles. These are the areas that tend to have more dead skin.
- Moisturize your skin: A well-moisturized and soft skin is ideal for tanning. It will absorb the tanning solution evenly. Dry and rough skin makes even application much more difficult, and it increases the chances of streaks and blotches.
- Apply on your body: Once you have prepared your skin, the rest is easy. Smooth the wipes on your skin with an even hand, Make sure to leave no patches or dry spots behind. Cover all exposed parts of your body for an even look.
- Apply on your face: Most of the tanning wipes in our list are safe to be used on the face. Use the same shade if you are using some separate brand for your body. Your face and body-color should match perfectly, or the tan might have a fake appearance.
- Wash your hands: Wash your hands immediately after applying the wipes or your palms can end up looking dark- it’s as weird looking as it sounds.
- Let it dry: As tanning wipes are a quick and easy solution, their liquid readily absorbs in the skin. Still, give it some time to dry, you can move around in loose clothes once dry.
Best Tanning Wipes of 2020
Here we have selected some of the best tanning wipes for your convenience. Choose the formula that you think fits your skin-type the best! We also include buttons to Amazon so you can check the reviews and price.
Tan Towel Self Tan Towelette Classic
Tan towel self-tanners are excellent for getting a great tan, with less effort. Get a radiant bronze sunless tan without spending laborious hours under the sun. These tanning wipes are excellent for a fair to medium tan. As they are already pre-soaked in tanning solution, it’s hard to overdo it. The smooth wipes save you from the messy mousse or lotions.
Each towel is infused with a unique formula that stays gentle on your skin. Applying the self-tanner was never this easy as with these wipes. Simply unpack a wipe, apply it on the skin in circular motions, and you are ready to dry. The liquid absorbs into the skin almost instantly and doesn’t take a long time to dry. While some people seem to think these towels will adequately exfoliate while applying, I don’t think this is the case. To get a truly flawless tan, always exfoliate before applying product!
I’ve used Tan Towels for years and love the results I get with them. If you want to learn more about my experience, check out my Tan Towels review.
Who’s it for
Tan Towel is perfect for those who are looking for an easy solution to look great. The long-hours of jobs and busy routines shouldn’t keep you from looking your best. Just go for these easy to use wipes, and your skin will stay radiant and bright.
Tan Towel Self Tan Towelette Plus
These wipes give a medium to dark tan within 2-4 hours. This Tan Towel formula offers a more intense and noticeable bronze color. It’s perfect for a darker complexion person who wants to try out tanning towels. The color gives a lovely tan, that is sure to turn heads! Unlike some orange streaky self-tanners, these wipes use as much solution as is needed for a good tan. With these tan towels, you’ll look like you just got off from a Caribbean cruise!
Tan Towel comes with ten wipes in the box, which should last you around 10 weeks, possibly longer if you’re careful with touch-ups, and stretch it. It’s an affordable option compared to those lotions or sprays that come in costly bottles. Wipes are perfect for getting to know a brand. Each sheet is separately packed. The color will last about seven days and you can simply re-apply it in within minutes for getting your preferred look.
Who’s it for?
Tan Towel self-tanning Plus wipes are perfect for people with a dark complexion, or people who want a more intense, noticeable tan. The wipes not only give an even bronze tan but provide some moisture to your skin as well and keeps it well-nourished.
L’Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes
We all trust L’Oreal Paris for its skin and hair treatment products, and these tanning wipes are no exception. The sublime Bronze wipes are convenient for a quick and easy tan.
These wipes are both safe and nourishing for your skin. They are not only infused with the tanning solution but comes with a formula with vitamin E and AHAs for a streak-free and healthy skin. You get a soft and smooth glow on your skin. The vitamin E is an antioxidant that the skin adores! It leaves your skin feeling smooth and nourished while fighting off free radicals that damage your skin.
Wipes are easy to apply, as well. Just smooth it on the skin evenly in circular motions, and it will take 2-3 hours for your new tan to develop. After that, it’s time to take your hot self out for some fun!
Who’s it for
L’Oreal Paris’s tanning wipes are good for people who want to venture into the world of self-tanning, but want to stick with a brand they trust. Even better, tanning wipes are perfect for beginners, so you get that peace of mind as well!
Comodynes Self Tanning Towelette Dispenser
Comodynes Self Tanning wipes are great for a streak-free look. It keeps your skin from getting the dreaded dark-orange hue that so many movies have made fun of.
The wipes come with enough tanning solution in one towelette for your face, neck, and cleavage. They have a combination of butylene glycol and ucon75h450 with the tanning solution. These ingredients retain the moisture in the skin and prevent it from drying. It forms a protective layer on your skin and prevents it from drying out.
A perfect tan only looks good when the skin looks soft and well-hydrated. A good self-tanner not only colors your skin but improves its appearance too. Instead of looking odd and unnatural, these wipes give a natural looking tan that others will envy.
Who’s it for?
Comodynes Self Tanning wipes are perfect for those who have dry skin and can make use of their hydrating formula. The wipes are specifically made to compliment your skin color. These are probably not great for those who desire an extremely dark tan.
Ibiza Sun – Organic Self Tanner, Natural Ingredients, Sunless Tanning Wipes
Ibiza Sun Organic Self Tanning Towelettes are the best solution for pale complexions. The wipes are dipped into a transparent liquid that readily absorbs into your skin and gives you a sun-kissed glow within a few hours. The wipes are also good for all types of skin. Whether you have oily skin or rough patches on your skin with dryness, these organic self-tanners are a good bet for just about any skin type.
Applying these towelettes is easy and convenient. They are super moisturized and enough to cover your entire body with a streak-free tan. The product dries quickly, and you are free to move around. The color will start appearing within two to three hours.
Who’s it for?
These wipes are perfect for those who are conscious of using cosmetics and chemicals on the face. The wipes are formulated with organic ingredients that stay gentle on the skin while giving excellent results.
SunPop Self Tanning Towelettes
SunPop tanning wipes are an innovative product that understands your skin well. These are biodegradable wipes that are perfectly safe for the environment. The towelettes are infused with advanced Algo-Tan technology for giving a streak-free tan. The tanning solution contains food extracts with Aloe vera, green tea, and Algona. Rich in antioxidants and vitamins, these natural ingredients not only give a natural tan but also make your skin smooth and soft.
Sunpop’s tanning wipes have a medium formula that is good for fair to medium skin tone. Its safe and natural ingredients are perfect for any skin type. The easy to apply wipes dry easily and leave you with an effect that is quite natural looking. Make sure to apply the wipes on your face, neck, and all body parts that are exposed for an even look.
Who’s it for?
These wipes are perfect for those who only trust natural ingredients and are eco-conscious. The fruit extract, green tea, and Aloe Vera in these wipes bring many important nutrients that are free of any artificial odor or color.
HauteBronze – Tan Towels, Self Tanning Wipes
These self-tanning wipes are soaked in a pre-measured amount of tanning solution that gives lovely results without any hassle. Towelettes are great for any part of the body. You can even use them on your face without a second thought. It’s perfectly safe ingredients stay gentle on the skin and keeps it well hydrated. It helps that it dries extremely quickly too!
These tanning wipes are excellent for you if you are fed up with messy lotions that you lather on your skin. These wipes are free of weird chemicals like parabens, and other preservatives that may harm the body in the long run.
Another problem with some self-tanning products is that they fade away too early. We made sure to keep those off this list. Of course, the tan will fade away with time, but that’s what touch-ups and re-applications are for, right?
Who’s it for?
These self-tanning wipes are for those who like a dark tan. Their medium to dark tone is perfect for those who prefer a Mediterranean look. Keeping it all-natural is an important point that is well taken care of with these wipes.
Dr. Dennis Gross – Alpha Beta Glow Pad
These Alpha Beta Glow pads are another great option if you are looking for a cost-effective tanning solution. The pack of tanning wipes comes at a very reasonable price and contains twenty wipes. These wipes are immersed in a high-quality self-tanning solution that makes your skin glow in a very subtle way. The wipes do not contain any messy solution that dries on the skin in patches, giving it orange streaks.
Tanning wipes will give a good tan for a week, and a very unique feature: these wipes are infused with vitamin D, which your body usually gets from the sun! Isn’t that neat? You need to apply it once a week for having a consistent look. Just exfoliate your skin well before applying. It will help you have an even tone, and color will also last longer. I know they say this exfoliates as you apply it, but I just don’t think it will do as thorough a job as many will need.
Who’s It for?
These wipes are good for those who want to stay within budget and still don’t want to compromise the quality. These wipes are easy to afford, they were formulated by a doctor, they contain vitamin D, and the pack will last months!
Vita Liberata – Phenomenal Organic Tan Infused Cloths
Vita Liberata wipes are not only great for a streak-free tan, but they come with a skin treatment formula. These wipes are the easiest way to get a perfect tan. The travel-free pack of wipes is easy to carry and apply.
The wipes are soaked in a tanning liquid that consists of all-natural and organic ingredients. The liquid is enriched with ingredients like Aloe Vera, Hydrolysed Silk, and whole organic DHA. The adore-free formula deeply hydrates your skin, making it soft and supple from within. The moisturizing content is more like a skin treatment for your rough and dry skin.
Who’s it for?
These wipes are perfect for you if you need some skin treatment along with tanning. Its healing properties penetrate deep down the layers of skin. It binds to the skin cells and works on them for a more soft and natural glow.
Tarte Brazilliance Skin Self Tanning Face Towelettes
If you love Brazillian beaches and want a tan that makes you look like you are just back from Brazil, then these wipes may help. The single-use wipes are formulated for giving a bronze look. The color blends in your skin and looks natural. They include some other natural ingredients for the safety and nourishment of your skin. The wipes moisturize your skin and keep it supple in dry weather.
The wipes can be used all year round whether it’s scorching heat of summer or dry winter weather. They can be used once a week for an even and streak-free look. These wipes are a good alternative to messy lotions and mousse. Bring them along on your holidays and stay in style.
Who’s it for?
These tanning wipes are excellent for clean exfoliated skin. Make sure you rub gently with a soft cloth or exfoliating product before application. These wipes are good for medium fair skin and gives a medium to dark tan.
Tanning wipes are an excellent alternative to sun tanning. These wipes are not only easy to apply, but they dry quickly and give results in just a few hours. Their small and separate packs are easy to carry in your handbag or purse. You can expect nothing less than perfection with these wipes when used properly. The carefully pre-measured liquid in these wipes rules out the possibility of over-applying product. And last but not least, wipes are a lot more convenient than lotion, mousse, spray, or serum; especially if you travel or are just a generally busy person!