I hope you love the products I recommend in this article. Just so you know, Bronze Booty may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this page. This helps me keep Bronze Booty updated with all of this great information. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for!
Don’t think about hitting that tanning bed without the proper lotion! It best be a tanning lotion made specifically for indoor tanning or you might be regretting your tanning lotion choice later! What’s the difference, you ask?
Table of Contents
- Update for 2019 Tanning Season
- Indoor Tanners vs. Outdoor Tanners
- Our Top Picks for Best Tanning Lotions
- Types of Tanners
- Best Cheap Tanners
Update for 2019 Tanning Season
Summer 2019 is fast approaching which means: beaches and bikinis! I can’t wait. I’m so excited to feel the sand between my toes and the sun on my skin. But… people want to look like they live on the beach rather than show up pale! That’s why I keep this article all nice and updated for you all! This year, we’ve got some new winners. Designer Skin took my top spot with their Envious lotion.
I feel bad that they’re so dominant, but they make such a great product. As much as I’d like to have a variety in the upper ranks, Designer Skin is just making it too hard for me. They really are top of the line.
I want to give a special shout out to our girl Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi she keeps coming at us with some amazing lotions at nice mid-line prices. She’s been killing it over the years and her products have definitely been gaining on some of my favorites.
Indoor vs. Outdoor Tanning Lotion
Well, I’m glad you’re here, as there are quite a few differences between indoor and outdoor tanning lotions. Here are a few things:
- Outdoors, you are in an uncontrolled environment where the sun is emitting both UVA and UVB rays, so the lotion you need for such an environment should contain a sun-proof factor (SPF), allowing you to control the amount of rays you take in.
- A tanning bed emits mainly UVA rays and you’re on a timer which is your control, essentially replacing the SPF in an outdoor tanning lotion. They do not contain a sunscreen.
- If you enter a tanning bed with outdoor tanning lotion, you will not come out with the tan you want as you will be blocking most of the UVA rays, wasting the tanning session.
- Using outdoor tanning lotion in a tanning bed can damage the acrylic in the bed and leave a film that can prevent the UV rays from reaching you effectively.
- Indoor tanning lotions are made to enhance the absorption of the UV rays, as opposed to blocking them
- Indoor tanning lotions are good for short, intense tanning sessions, while outdoor tanners are made to protect you outside in the sunlight for extended periods of time.
In other words, stick to indoor tanners when using a tanning bed, and outdoor tanners when getting a suntan. Now it’s a matter of finding the best tanning lotion for tanning beds, but first, let’s discuss the different kinds.
Types of Indoor Tanners
There are many types of indoor tanners, but the main three that you will run into are basic, tingle, and bronzers.
Regular tanning lotions are just basic tanning bed lotions with no tinglers or bronzers in them. There are some really good and highly rated lotions that fall under this category, so never assume that it’s an inferior product just because it doesn’t have the extras! Although they do tend to be on the cheaper side when compared to the other types of tanning bed lotions, they can get pricey, too.
Regular lotions do not need to be left on after your tanning session is over. You simply apply it prior to going into the tanning bed, it does it’s intended job, then you wash it off as soon as your session is over.
The Best Regular lotions
Tingle lotions are similar to the basic lotions in that you don’t need to leave them on after the tan, but they tingle during the tanning process and sometimes for a little while after. Some do not like the tingling feeling that they get and opt against using them, while others will rave about the lotion and the super awesome tan it helped them to get.
The Best Tingle Lotions
If you really want to get a nice, deep, dark tan, a bronzer might be your best bet. You apply the lotion right before entering the tanning bed, but you must leave it on for a few hours after to achieve the full bronzing effect. You should follow the instructions of each individual tanning lotion as to how long to leave it on after the tan.
The Best Bronzers
The Best Cheap Tanning Lotions
Tanning lotions can definitely be a big investment, and sometimes you just want something affordable. No worries about that. Below is my top list of the best cheap tanning lotions. Let me know if there are any that you think I’ve missed!
My favorite lotion is definitely a bronzer, so I’ve put together a list of my favorite and best bronzer lotions. The specific type of lotion that is best for you depends on your preference for the tingle, how dark you wish to get, and your preference for scent for your tanning lotion. If you are unsure, you can go to the store at any tanning salon and consult with the tanning professional who should be able to point you in the right direction.
When determining the best lotion, reviews were taken into consideration and a few brand names that particularly stood out with excellent reviews were lotions by Designer Skin, Supre, Australian Gold, Playboy, Swedish Beauty, and Ed Hardy. You can also check out our list of the best tanning lotions.
Indoor tanning is an art, it takes practice and experience through trial and error. You’ll find your perfect tanning lotion match!